FOMDWebPartPage

Department History

The Department of Biochemistry officially began in 1920, but its real origin was with the arrival of James B. Collip in Edmonton in 1915. Collip had a PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Toronto, and came to join the first Professor of Physiology and Pharmacology at the U of A, Heber H. Moshier. Collip went on to become involved in the discovery of insulin while on a one-year sabbatical at the University of Toronto in 1921. He returned to Edmonton the following year, and remained here until 1928. The Department first offered a PhD program in 1953.